National Science Week 2022
This August we are celebrating National Science Week by offering a full schedule of free educational opportunities for people to participate in both online and in-person.
To celebrate this year’s theme of glass, we join Niche Environment and Heritage Associate, Dr Kevin Rains as he dives into understanding more about glass found on the Cross River Rail project and the process it goes into once it has been excavated.
Also a part of the celebrations is our next instalment of After Dark Online as we celebrate the topic of science and hearing from two guest speakers. The first guest speaker will be Cross River Rail Environment and Approvals Advisor, Daniel Day to discuss environmental science and its different applications linked to the Cross River Rail project. The second guest speaker will be Niche Environment and Heritage Associate, Dr Kevin Rains who will dive into this year’s theme of glass by talking about the history of glass, glass pieces that have been found as part of Cross River Rail excavations and why they are significant.
If you would like to join us in person, head over to the Experience Centre and participate in one of our free hands-on activities for the whole family. Check out the full schedule of activities here:
- Saturday 13 August: Investigator Manual at the Experience Centre, 11am – 1pm
- Sunday 14 August: Archaeology Glass Investigation at the Experience Centre, 11am – 1pm
- Tuesday 16th August: Glass Documentary premiering on YouTube at 6pm
- Thursday 18 August: After Dark Online – Science premiering on YouTube at 6pm
- Saturday 20 August: Stages of Construction at the Experience Centre, 11am – 1pm
- Sunday 21 August: Make Your Own Artefact at the Experience Centre, 11am – 1pm
- Sunday 21 August: Science of Tunnelling Program at the Bulimba State School STEM Expo, From 10am
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Sat August 13 @ 11:00 am 1:00 pm
Archaeology Glass Bottle Investigation
Sun August 14 @ 11:00 am 1:00 pm
Clay Pot Excavation
Sat August 20 @ 11:00 am 1:00 pm
One event on April 9, 2022 at 11:00 am
One event on April 12, 2022 at 11:00 am
One event on May 15, 2022 at 11:00 am
One event on May 21, 2022 at 11:00 am
One event on August 20, 2022 at 11:00 am